Monday, September 29, 2014

DOW Visits PSU as Part of the PSUDROPS Program

Banner for the PSUDROPS program. Courtesy of PSUDROPS facebook event page.

This week at Penn State we are blessed to be visited by the DOW (Doppler on Wheels) as a part of the PSUDROPS (Penn State University Dual-pol Radar for Outreach and Precipitation Studies) program. As a meteorology student, I am required to learn how to operate, collect, and interpret data from the DOW in my Mesoscale and Radar meteorology courses as part of the expected course work. (Hence, the precipitation studies part of the acronym.) I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to construct a few interesting blog posts on the DOW.

"Tornado pod"
So far, I do know that I ( and a few other fellow students) might get the opportunity to take the DOW out on Friday night to scan the passage of a front. This will be used in our field project for Meteo434 (radar meteorology course). I have also volunteered to talk about the "tornado pod" on Saturday as part of an community outreach program during the State College Fall Festival. This is super exciting, as I have never seen a deployment pod in person before. I will try to document as much as I can and post blogs updates as they become available.

To be presented with this once in a lifetime opportunity to work with the DOW and to become acquainted with the procedures needed to run the radar and collect/interpret data is exciting. I am even more excited to share my experiences with you as they become available!

If you are interested in reading more, here is the facebook event page.


Enjoy a few photos that I took today during my quick crash course in DOW operations.


Close-up of "tornado pod"

Tornado pod with DOW7 in the background.






No comments:

Post a Comment