Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Fun Summary Post!

Today is the day! I have finally finished my map of major places we visited on our journey across the United States while storm spotting. Before we left Indianapolis, Jason gave me an official milage count I would like to share with you as well. The mileage that the map gives will not match the mileage we traveled on our trip for various reasons, such as including driving to and from State College, and not including pit stops.

Anyway, here is the map I came up with. This is a very general map just showing the towns we stopped in along the way. The routes aren't correct because one simply cannot remember the exact route we took to every single place we went that week!

A general overview of our route.





Based on the above map we traveled (including travel time to and from State College, Pa) about 70 hours 20 minutes and 4,397.95 miles on our trip. The official mileage that Jason gave me for the actual trip, including pit stops and not including the driving to and from State College, was 3,679 miles. Either way you look at it, that is a lot of driving. Even when I take out traveling to and from State College the amount of hours driven on this trip is still amazing, about 53 hours and 38 minutes!

The map that I made unfortunately doesn't tell you the names of the cities that we stopped in. That's why I'm here. I can do that for you. So for those of you that are curious, I am going to list, in order, the names of the cities that we stopped in for either storm spotting purposes or to stay the night,

1. Indianapolis, Indiana
2. Hull, Illinois
3. Quincy, Illinois
4. Memphis, Tennessee
5. Tuscumbia, Alabama
6. Little Rock, Arkansas
7. Mayflower, Arkansas
8. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
9. Norman, Oklahoma
10. Moore, Oklahoma
11. El Reno, Oklahoma
12. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (again)
13. Salina, Kansas
14. North Platte, Nebraska
15. Alliance, Nebraska
16. Ogallala, Nebraska
17. Indianapolis, Indiana (back where we began)

I also made a list of states visited, as a whole group,  during the trip. I am going to list them here along with their nicknames just for fun. They are pretty much in the order that we visited them.

Indiana - The Hoosier State
Illinois - Land of Lincoln or The Prairie State
Missouri - The Show Me State
Arkansas - The Natural State (current) and The Land of Opportunity (former)
Tennessee - The Volunteer State
Mississippi - The Magnolia State or The Hospitality State
Alabama - Yellowhammer State, Heart of Dixie, or Cotton State
Oklahoma - Sooner State
Kansas - The Sunflower State
Nebraska - Cornhusker State
Iowa - The Hawkeye State

My next venture for the blog is to try to get a place set up where we can put all of our photos and you can view them. I hope to get it up and working soon! Also we are still working on that video. Keep checking back for some updates. They will be coming your way soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment